Monday, October 12, 2015

On Why A "Career" is Not for Me

This is a revisit of this older entry.

Having pulled at the last moment from a "solid" career choice (see previous post) am wondering how the world has turned for me to go against the career path sought after by my parents:

  1. "stable" job (as far as it can be in a startup);
  2. great & smart people to work with;
  3. long hours, hard work;
  4. little leisure time; moste Long Weekends are not long;
  5. an assured stream of income and (applicable US-only) employer-paid health insurance;
  6. a gc {subject the the vagaries of the US immigration system};
  7. great schools for the kids;
  8. perhaps the stock options proffered could be worth something.
Of all this the only thing I'm sore about is #7, and I discovered that the rest hold less appeal for me than they did some time ago. Must be the age showing.

-ulianov