Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Phone Interview w/ A**zon

I. of A**zon called; he wanted to go "straight to number one" (in this case algorithm questions).

I had to pry out of him what job/level he is interviewing me for, what is his role at A**zon and what's the job at hand for me.

Then he asked me:
1. how to calculate the intersection of two arrays;
2. how to generate 10 distinct random numbers in the range 1..100.

For the second question he insisted that I write code on paper and dictate to him the code. Quite weird.

I telegraphed him the notion that I am interviewing for Sr./Principal level to no avail. He said that A**zon wants senior people to be hands-on and that in the past they encountered Architect-level types that no longer knew how to write code.

Or maybe the types never knew how to write code from the get-go.

May 28 update: masked company name to get less hits from Google blog searches.

-ulianov