Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Interview w/ V**eoIQ in Bedford, MA

Drove half hour to Bedford on some winding roads (did not want to take route on Hwys 2->495->3) and got to meet the folks of V**eoIQ.

They are nice and relaxed but a bit unfocused: they use C, Java and .Net in their software stack and that biases their hiring needs.

I applied for a platform job (C/Linux/drivers/troubleshooting) yet they wished for somebody that was good at C++ too. I am not. While I think there may be people out there with this background I do not suppose there are many of them, as C++/UML is a craft on its own.

Predictably I did not get the job (well I told them upfront I am no C++ fan). While the hiring manager who talked to me over the phone seemed OK with that [that's why I went there to meet them in person], the VP of Eng. was not thus I wasted four hours on the road+interview out of my work day.

Altho unrelated to the V**eoIQ, the building that housed them was reeking of a rancid smell. It made me quite sick to my stomach and quite unenthusiastic. I suppose it came from the pool supply company next door.

-ulianov

No comments: